MASQUE PRIVACY STATEMENT
Masque is committed to respecting your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information, data and content, and this Privacy Statement sets out what data Masque collects and how we use and protect it. Masque BV, a Dutch company, with its registered office at Delftseplein 27-E, 3013 AA Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and is responsible for the data processing.
MASQUE SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE ONLY TO USERS OVER THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN (18) OR IF HIGHER THE LEGAL AGE IN YOUR COUNTRY – ANYONE UNDER THIS AGE MUST NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE MASQUE
We may amend this Privacy Statement by posting a new version on the Masque Website and/or notifying you in some other way as set out below.
1. WHAT TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES MASQUE COLLECT?
In connection with the provision of the Masque Services, Masque may gather and process information from you, including the following types of information:
- Your personal profile data. To begin you only need to provide a display name and age, indicate whether you are male or female and verify your mobile phone number. You do not have to share other personal data with Masque and should not share any personal data with other Masque users;
- Depending on what other Masque services you use you may decide to provide us with contact and registration details (name, User ID, mobile phone etc.);
- network and technical data (IP addresses, network operator, Device ID data, Device operating system, cookies, etc.);
- data in relation to your use of Masque Services and Masque Websites;
- anonymous data on the approximate location of your device (e.g., from the cell ID data of your mobile network or GPS services);
- questionnaires or survey results and information regarding use of the Masque Services and Masque Websites.
2. HOW AND WHY DOES MASQUE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Our reasons for collecting information relating to you or your Device are to enable Masque (or sometimes other data processors selected by Masque) to provide the Masque Services through the Masque application or other applications provided by Masque to you in an effective and satisfactory way, as follows:
- processing your log-ins, contacts and preferences and enabling the other features of the Masque Services, such as enabling you to make and receive contact requests, and functions such as showing you who has viewed your profile;
- showing your profile information on the Masque Services: please note that your profile information is provided by you voluntarily and under your sole responsibility – it does not need to contain any real personal data and we discourage you from disclosing such data;
- providing you with customer support, responding to questions and helping to resolve problems;
- informing you about service updates or problems;
- resolving disputes;
- verifying your mobile phone number;
- customizing, understanding users’ use of, and improving the Masque Services and Masque Website (this includes customization of advertising based on your location, or features such as indicating when you were last online, or permitting you to invite contacts); and
- informing you of additional products, services and offers provided by Masque.
Masque stores the personal information in different data files kept on servers based in the Netherlands. Masque will take all reasonable measures to ensure security of the data, including where such servers may be operated by third party data processors under Masque’s responsibility.
If we provide a method for you to invite friends to join Masque, then their contact information will be used for the purposes of automatically generating a message to these potential Masque users.
If we process data regarding the location of your Device then (i) in case of services such as allowing location requests from your Masque contacts, you will be able to switch this functionality on or off at any time within the Masque Services, and (ii) where this is used in order to provide advertising appropriate to your locality then we may provide this to our third party advertising partners but never in a form that you will be able to be identified from this data; and your acceptance of this privacy statement constitutes consent for this processing.
3. DOES MASQUE TRANSFER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE ELSE?
Masque does not sell, rent, trade or otherwise transfer any personal information you provide to Masque to any third party without your express permission (unless it is obliged to do so under applicable laws or by order of the competent authorities) except as set out in this Statement.
Masque needs to provide certain information to third parties who assist Masque in providing elements of the Masque Services. So, for example, Masque may need to provide your mobile number to the network operator or SMS provider in order to verify your number. Under their contracts with Masque they are required to store and process your information in accordance with similar standards of protection of your data as applied by Masque.
If any authority lawfully requests Masque or one of Masque’s partners to retain and provide personal information, communications content and/or communications or technical data, or permit monitoring or interception, Masque and/or its partner may comply with that request without being obliged to inform you.
Masque operates internationally and may transfer the data for processing in different countries, including by Masque group companies, outside of your home country.
4. WHAT ITEMS ARE PLACED ON YOUR DEVICE WHEN USING THE MASQUE SERVICES OR WEBSITE?
In order to use most of the Masque Services, you will need to install the relevant software on your Device. This software enables you to make and receive contacts using your Device including sending the content that you define (e.g., profile or status updates, log-in data) between your Device and the network.
In addition, for web-based Masque Services, “cookies” may be used. Cookies are pieces of information stored on your Device in order to enable web-based applications to recognize who you are or your preferences (e.g., what language version of the Masque Website you usually use) and provide Masque with information about the use of its Websites).
Most internet browsers allow you to prevent your Device from accepting or using cookies or require your permission each time a cookie is received. Please note that some personalized Masque Services may not be available if you choose to disable cookies.
5. YOUR USER PROFILE
6. THIRD PARTY WEBSITES, PLATFORMS AND APPLICATIONS
Masque Websites and Masque Services may contain links that will let you access Third Party Services such as another website, platform or application. Third Party Services are outside Masque’s control and not covered by this Privacy Statement. Masque accepts no responsibility or liability for Third Party Services.
Remember that use of Third Party Services may in addition be subject to your signing up for an account with and accepting the terms and conditions of the relevant third party, including provisions relating to processing of personal data, which may differ from Masque’s policies and for which Masque is not responsible. You should take care before providing any personal information to anyone and in these cases especially to review the applicable privacy statements or policies.
7. HOW DOES MASQUE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Masque takes appropriate organizational and technical measures to protect the personal information and communications data provided to them or collected by them. For example, your personal and communications data can only be accessed by authorized Masque staff that need to have access to this data in order for their work.
Masque takes technical measures to protect the confidentiality of the content of communications sent over the Masque Services, subject to all applicable obligations and exceptions under applicable law.
8. CONTACTING YOU
Masque may contact you to notify you of issues and faults with the Masque Services, and if you are considered to have breached any of the terms of your Agreement with Masque or if another person makes a complaint about your use of the Masque Services (e.g., a claim that you have infringed their rights in some way).
Masque may also use email, SMS or the Masque Services to keep you up to date with news about the Masque Services that you use and/or other Masque Services. If you no longer want to be kept informed in this way, in which case please contact Masque at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Masque may occasionally ask you to provide information on your experiences with the Masque Services. Any such feedback will always be voluntary and will be used only for the purposes of measuring and improving the quality of the Masque Services and Website and not stored as personal information or combined with any of your other personal information.
9. CAN THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT BE CHANGED?
Masque reserves the right to modify this Privacy Statement at any time by notifying you by any reasonable means or by publishing the modified Privacy Statement at http://www.masque.me/privacy. The modified Privacy Statement will become effective thirty days from such publication or notification, unless you expressly accept the modified Privacy Statement earlier. Such express acceptance by you, or your continued use of any Masque Service after expiry of the notice period of thirty days, shall constitute your consent to the modified Privacy Statement.
10. WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS AND HOW CAN YOU CONTACT MASQUE?
You have the right to access and, if necessary, to rectify your personal information. To exercise your right to view, correct, complete or remove your personal information, please contact Masque at email@example.com. After verifying your identity and provided your request is legal, within a reasonable period of time Masque will fulfil your request.
You may also ask Masque to stop processing your personal information. However, please note that this will most likely prevent you from using some or all of the Masque Services. You can exercise your right to prevent further processing of your personal information by contacting Masque at firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. HOW LONG IS PERSONAL INFORMATION KEPT BY MASQUE?
Masque will retain your information for as long as is necessary to carry out any of the purposes set out in this Privacy Statement and comply with applicable legislation, and any applicable orders of regulatory bodies or courts.
© Masque B.V., all rights reserved. Last revised: 31 October 2014